Conditions of Entry
- All Entrants must accept the Conditions of Entry.
- While there is no age limit on ride applicants:
a. If the Entrant is under the age of 18 on the day of the Alpine Classic®, a Parent or Guardian of the Entrant must accept the Conditions of Entry on behalf of the Entrant; and
b. If the Entrant is under the age of 16 on the day of the Alpine Classic®, a Parent, Guardian or other responsible adult must enter and accompany the Entrant throughout the Alpine Classic® ride.
- Australia may, in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons for its decision, accept or refuse an application for registration.
Modes of Transport in Alpine Classic®
- Entrants may ride any type of wheeled cycle that is propelled solely by human effort. No other modes of transport may be used. It must be roadworthy and entrants should carry tools and spare parts in case of breakdown.
- All riders on multi-person cycles must enter the event individually.
- The use of a hitch bike, baby buggy or any other type of passenger carrying apparatus is not permitted.
No Private Support Vehicles
- Private support vehicles are not permitted on the Alpine Classic® course during the Alpine Classic®.
Comply with Road Rules
- During the Alpine Classic®, Entrants must comply with all traffic and road laws, all directions issued by Police and VicRoads and all instructions given by Fairfax Events and Entertainment or its employees, agents, contractors, officials and volunteers at the Alpine Classic®. Failure to do so may result in removal of the Entrant from the Alpine Classic®.
- Cycles used in the event must comply with Victoria’s road rules 1. The Entrant acknowledges that they are responsible for ensuring that their cycle complies.
Comply With Alpine Classic Rules
- During the Alpine Classic®, Entrants must comply with any ride-specific rules notified to them.
- All entrants must be off the event course by 8:30 pm (20:30 hours). Common Sense and Courtesy when Riding
- The Entrant while participating in the Alpine Classic® must ride and otherwise behave in a safe and responsible manner and use common sense at all times.
- The Entrant while participating in the Alpine Classic® must exercise caution on all public roads and other thoroughfares and ride defensively and courteously.
Preparation, Training, Health and Safety
- The Entrant is responsible for ensuring that he/she is adequately and appropriately prepared, both physically and mentally, for the Alpine Classic®. If the Entrant has any health issues or doubts prior to the Alpine Classic®, he/she should seek appropriate medical advice.
- The Entrant’s bicycle needs to be in a good working condition prior to riding in the Alpine Classic®. If, in the opinion of Australia, a bicycle is unsafe, or does not comply, when required, with the Alpine Classic Rules it cannot be used in Alpine Classic®.
- Entrants consent to receiving any medical treatment that the Fairfax Events and Entertainment or their authorised representatives (including emergency services providers) consider reasonably necessary or desirable during or shortly after the Event.
Acknowledgment and Acceptance of Conditions of Entry
- The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that participation in the Alpine Classic® is inherently hazardous and that she/he participates in the Alpine Classic® at her/his own risk.
1 See https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/bicycles
- The Entrant accepts the following conditions:
a. I accept these conditions of entry and have read in full the Conditions of Entry, the Ride Rules of Audax Australia Cycling Club and any Alpine Classic Rules which apply to the ride that I am entering.
b. I understand that cycling can be a hazardous activity, particularly in traffic or among pedestrians, and on remote or mountainous roads.
c. I accept that when riding I am at risk and may suffer or cause serious injury or death or property loss or damage. I will take care to avoid injury or damage to others and myself.
d. I acknowledge that I have sole responsibility for my personal possessions and sporting equipment during the Alpine Classic® and its related activities.
e. I acknowledge that the Alpine Classic® rides are endurance events requiring a high level of fitness and stamina to complete.
f. I declare that I am medically and physically fit to participate in the Alpine Classic® and its related activities. I acknowledge that I must, and agree that I will, disclose any medical or other condition that may affect the risk that I or any other person will suffer injury, loss or damage.
g. I confirm that I and any children in my care have sufficient competence and experience
to participate safely in the Alpine Classic®.
h. I accept that Fairfax Events and Entertainment limits its liability. It is a condition of participating in Alpine Classic® that I waive, to the extent permitted by law, any claim, right or cause of action which:
i. I personally; and
ii. each minor in my care; and
iii. my heirs, executors and administrators and those of each child in my care may have in contract and civil wrongs law, arising from any personal injury, damage or loss arising out of the ride.
i. I accept that this release from liability operates in contract law in favour of Fairfax Events and Entertainment, and all officers, members, volunteers and employees of Fairfax Events and Entertainment and all sponsors of the ride or event and operates whether the damage is due to any act or neglect of any of them.
j. If an Entrant is under 16 years old, an adult must accompany them throughout the ride, unless otherwise agreed in writing by Fairfax Events and Entertainment.
k. If an entrant is under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must accept the conditions of entry by clicking ‘I accept the Conditions of Entry’ on the Entry Form and paying with their credit card.
- Online entries close on the date specified on the Alpine Classic® web site.
- Off line entries are accepted in Bright from the Tuesday preceding the event until 16:00 hours on the day prior to the Alpine Classic®.
- An Entrant may change ride options by advising Fairfax Events and Entertainment and paying any difference in the entry fees between the original ride registered for and for the new ride.
- Entrants unable to participate may ask to have their entry transferred to the following year’s Event. This request must be received by Fairfax Events and Entertainment not later than 21.00 hours on 7 January preceding the Event and will be granted once only to any particular Entry.
- Refunds will not be given for change of mind.
- No refund or exchange of entry fees except as required by law or as otherwise specified by Fairfax Events and Entertainment
- Communications in relation to Alpine Classic® will principally be via email. Entrants should therefore provide a valid email address. If an Entrant does not have access to an email address, the Entrant should make every effort to read the Alpine Classic® website which will be updated as necessary until the date of Alpine Classic®.
- It is the Entrant’s responsibility to read all information that is made available on the Alpine Classic® website, in emails, newsletters and all other literature concerning the Alpine Classic®.
- Riders should supply a contact telephone number that will be available to the organisers during and immediately after the Event, in case an entrant needs to be contacted.
- Fairfax Events and Entertainment reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to:
a. Change, shorten or otherwise vary the route of any of the Alpine Classic® rides without notice (such change or variation is only likely to occur when fire, flood, road damage or other causes hinder access to the proposed route or when the Alpine Classic’s Extreme Weather Policy applies); and/or
b. cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the Alpine Classic® or any of the Alpine Classic® rides for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the Alpine Classic® ride; and/or
c. Fairfax Events and Entertainment is not responsible for or liable to the Entrant for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and howsoever or wheresoever incurred by the Entrant resulting from any such action taken by Fairfax Events and Entertainment.\
- The Alpine Classic® will be cancelled only if Fairfax Events and Entertainment considers the proposed event to be unsafe, or if it is directed to do so by the relevant authorities.
- In the event that the Alpine Classic, or any of its rides are cancelled, Entrants to the cancelled rides may be offered refunds of Entry fees at a level to be determined or be otherwise compensated.
- Entrants consent to their details being shared with an Event Beneficiary Charity for online fundraising registration only.
- Other than a request from an authorised authority, any personal information collected by the Fairfax Events and Entertainment is used solely for the purpose of running the Alpine Classic® and inviting people for future events. With the sole exception of any Event Beneficiary Charity, no personal information is given to any other party for any purpose.
- The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that he/she may be photographed or filmed during the Event and consents to Fairfax Events and Entertainment using the Entrant’s picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publicising the Event and for promoting any future ride or event to be staged by Fairfax Events and Entertainment or for other purposes by Fairfax Events and Entertainment.
- Alpine Classic® is an outdoor event and will proceed notwithstanding poor weather conditions on the day of the Alpine Classic®. Fairfax Events and Entertainment is not liable to any Entrant for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind including, but not limited to, refund of entry fees, in the event of poor weather before or during the Alpine Classic®.
- Fairfax Events and Entertainment reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse to allow an Entrant to participate in the Alpine Classic® or to remove an Entrant from the Alpine Classic® for breach of these terms and conditions or if it otherwise determines it appropriate to do so.
- Fairfax Events and Entertainment is not liable to any Entrant for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, including but not limited to, the refund of the entry fee, including when the Entrant is denied access to or is removed from the Alpine Classic® for any reason.
- ‘Fairfax Events and Entertainment Pty Ltd’ and includes where appropriate Fairfax Events and Entertainment employees, agents, contractors, officials and volunteers.