Extreme Weather Policy

Its important riders understand our extreme weather (heat) policy. It’s very simple:

If on the day prior to the event (Saturday 23rd January 2021) the Bureau of Meteorology maximum forecast is for 38C (101.4F) or greater in Bright (see http://www.bom.gov.au/places/vic/bright/), then the Ultimate 320 & ACE 250 events will not operate and riders will be asked to ride any one of the other distances on offer. In the above instance, the 200km course will be reviewed in combination with Mt Beauty forecast and advised on Saturday 23rd of any edits to this distance, and start times. Due to the 2 day nature of the Raid, this event would proceed in the above instance.

The Alpine Classic is a most challenging sporting activity, even in the most benign conditions. The weather conditions, especially the extremes of heat and cold, will influence this event and you. Please keep an eye on the weather via the weather section on our website.

In addition in the event of a Code Red (formally known as catastrophic ) fire danger being declared the Alpine & Mt Buffalo National Parks will be closed and the event will not proceed.

Read our Terms and Conditions

Update 19 Jan 2021

How it would play out
Given the terrain and variation in temperatures/conditions in the Victorian High Country, every opportunity will be given for forecast accuracy to be refined. Therefore, any decisions regarding Sunday’s Event and Extreme heat will be advised Saturday 23rd Jan @ 11am.

What’s Likely?
Based on current Sunday forecasts for Bright and Omeo (equal to or greater than 38 degrees), if these temperatures are confirmed in Sunday’s forecast published Saturday 23 January – then the Ultimate 320 and ACE 250 events will not operate and riders will be asked to ride any one of the other distances on offer.

In the above instance, the 200km course will be reviewed in combination with Mt Beauty forecast and advised on Saturday 23rd of any edits to this distance, and start times – 200km riders would likely have to start at 4am to mitigate the hottest temperatures of the day.

Due to the 2 day nature of the Ride, this event would proceed in the above instance.

Should the scenario play out as above, cutoff times and fatigue management would be firmly enforced, with 200km riders cutoff at Mt Beauty before climbing Falls Creek at a time to be confirmed. All riders would be encouraged to review their ride distance in the context of high temperatures, and are welcome to downgrade should they feel necessary – performed at the village registration tent.

Riders should monitor Facebook, and an SMS will be sent with any changes when finalised.